Monday, August 18, 2014

Straying From Your Routine and Making Hasty Decisions

Hey Curlfriends! It's been an exciting summer and I can't believe next week my daughter will be in school. Time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it?

Here's a quick update on my hair. August 6th we headed to Indy for MotoGP (I'll post pics later) and I didn't grab the containers of leave in conditioner and moisturizer with with Aloe Vera Gel and flaxseed, but just the one with flaxseed. I didn't realize it until we arrived and unpacked Wednesday night and I didn't think it would make much difference.

 Boy! Was I wrong! Violet took a nice vacation too. My hair curled up the entire time we were there. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't mind a little shrinkage, but it wasn't the look I was going for. Below is how I'm currently wearing my hair today.


It was frustrating for me because my hair wouldn't cooperate and honestly it didn't occur to me until we arrived home on August 11th that my missing aloe vera gel was the missing ingredient that could have saved me and balanced the pH in my hair. Remember, during summer months, pH balanced products will save your a@@!

Also, usually the MotoGP is towards the end of August and from my past experiences, the humidity wasn't all that high, but it was in the beginning of August! Oh, and it was windy as hell up there in the stands too and the air was full of moisture. We had a few minutes when it drizzled on us (we had windproof umbrellas), but the sun returned. It's amazing how the "little things" can make such a big change in your hair!

Now, flaxseed gel can cause some shrinkage for some, but I honestly didn't experience much of it before leaving Maryland. My hair had a nice soft hold when I was sporting my roller sets, twist and braid outs. In the picture above I applied my product last night with aloe and flaxseed mix.

So, this has been another learning experience on this natural hair care journey. Sometimes we forget about the little things that can affect our hair and we wrack our brains trying to figure out why your fro is revolting.

On the flip side of things, Violet is coming along nicely, thankfully. In May I did the unimaginable and cut my hair because I felt it was too thin the day after washing. Looking back, it was a mistake because I was too hasty in my decision. Yes, I was seeking volume, but I didn't take the time to analyze the situation. Had I waited a day or two or perhaps styled it differently, I would have seen that my hair did have the volume I was seeking and I should have just did a simple trim.

Prior to that day in May, I was very much satisfied with my hair and wore roller sets for several weeks. It just goes to show you that time and patience is the key. Have you ever had an experience where you thought your hair wasn't what it should be and you took drastic measurements?

No comments:

Post a Comment