Monday, February 8, 2016

Why Do You Do What You Do?

People ask why do I prefer working for myself all the time, especially family members.  I believe if you have a skill/talent that you're passionate about, why not turn it into a money making tool?  I used to have a corporate job until I was laid off in 2011, but thankfully I had massage therapy to fall back on. I have hubby too, but I prefer to make my own, you know what I mean?

Massage therapy and working in the e-publishing field wasn't like work to me. It was something I enjoyed doing and is lucrative.  I'm also a Silpada representative. Yes, that's similar to Mary Kay and is fun, having friends host me in their homes while selling jewelry.  I'm also a freelance writer. Hey, Jill of all Trades, that's me.

I'm a Sagittarius and we are pretty much free spirits. I didn't mind working for other folks, but if I wasn't fairly compensated or acknowledged for my achievements, that simply brings my morale down. I'm the type of person that puts 110% of themselves into whatever it is I do. If I feel I'm doing it in vain, then I don't want to do it. I had worked as an Office Manager/Admin assistant for a long time. In 2006 I started web design/virtual assistant/cover art/ & publishing on the side. It's always important to have a good side gig in addition to your regular job. There's nothing like having your own business. I wasn't very appreciated and I began to loathe that job because when I first started as a temp I was promised the moon. Once I became full time, things swiftly went downhill. I hated getting those Sunday night jitters and having my stomach twisting in knots and I dreamed of the day I could give my notice and venture out on my own and not have to answer to anyone.

Seriously, my grandfather passed in 2008, yet my boss asked if I would be coming in later in the day. Really?!  I did feel obligated but no, I didn't go to work. I needed time to mourn, and sometimes with some companies, they really don't care what happens to you. (At least with my experience)

It's been four years and I've made a nice income on and offline.  I went to Baltimore School of Massage therapy for my certifications and I've just recently passed my personal trainer's certification and when I achieve that  I became a Beachbody coach. It's a challenge for me. I plan on taking other courses to further my education in my field. I don't mind working 7 days per week because my schedule is mine and I get to manage my time the way I want.

So, this is why I do what I do. I've suggested to many family members they should start a business for themselves because I see so much talent. I also seem them complaining so much about their jobs. If a person is so miserable, why do they not change what they do and start something on the side?

Are you happy with what you do?




No comments:

Post a Comment